May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls.
Beth Moore 10/08/2012
WELCOME!
Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog.
In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Slow to Anger
So I had the chance to practice being quick to listen and slow to anger the other day. Sometimes when I am studying or reading I will come across a phrase that will roll around for a while, picking up speed and changing a thought process like only a well written word can. The quote that I read in class from the NIV Application Commentary by David Nystrom goes like this "...James, I think, would counsel us to curb our desire to vent, to proclaim ourselves right...An angry response nullifies the benefits of a position of moral authority." (pg 106) Again, like I said in class, this concept knocked me over. I am someone who likes to vent, likes to be right, and sometimes seeks out other people to tell me just how right I am. I have to say I have never considered the manner in which I respond to certain situations cancels out any point I may be trying to make. I mean, how can venting be such a sin when I have been so obviously wronged? Ouch. The moral high ground crumbles away to leave us standing at the bottom of a pit. The cure? Verse 21...humbly accept the word planted in you. Lets let this one take root.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment