I wish I had a camera to post a picture. I don't even know if you could see it in a picture. (Lest anyone think I am suffering from any kind of want....I have a camera under the Christmas tree. Wrapped. I'm being good and waiting).
It happened a few nights ago. Just nodding off to sleep before a loud crash jolted me awake. Lesson learned....never put a tablecloth on a table so your cats can play jump and skid. Lesson number two...never put prized possessions on said tablecloth. So when I came downstairs there they were. Richard had picked them up off the floor but they were in pieces. Two angels, the boy and girl angel that you position like they are kissing. Worth nothing but one of the first things I ever bought for Christmas decor on my first married Christmas away from home (December 1987 for those who are counting). The wings had broken completely off the girl angel and the boy angel had one wing still there.
The next day I sat the pieces on my desk and tried to put them back together with Elmer's glue. The angels were white, the glue was white, should work, right? But it didn't. The wings kept sliding down and not sticking and really I just spent a minute remembering what it was like in grade school to make fake fingernails out of Elmer's glue by the time I was done. Richard walked into the office and told me he had been to Menard's earlier in the day to buy special glue to fix those wings (didn't know they made "man glue.") So off he went on Sunday to glue my angel wings. As he handed me my angels I went into peals of hysterical laughter. Um....sweetheart....the girl angel has a twisted wing! I mean this chick will never fly again. I don't know why it struck me as funny, but he said serves him right for gluing in the dark.
Putting my angels together in kissing position in my office the next morning (hopefully no cat skidding and jumping in here), I thought about that girl angel with the twisted wing. How very appropriate. How very me. To look back on my married life and see that even though I have screwed it up....there is grace. That even though I have blown it so completely at times...there is love. So this girl angel with the twisted wing I believe will stay out all year as a reminder. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Love from one with twisted wings,
Dawn :)
No comments:
Post a Comment