May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Coffee for Your Heart

Linking up with Holley Gerth today for her "Coffee for Your Heart" series on Wednesdays! She can be found at www.holleygerth.com. Today's prompt: “What encouraging words do you want the people you care about to hear as they begin a new year?”

I remember you. I remember you sitting there in the almost empty sanctuary watching the kids practice for the upcoming Christmas concert. I remember the feelings of condemnation, of not measuring up. I remember feeling that every bible study leader in that place was some sort of spiritual Goliath that had something special that could never be yours. I remember the list-making....a person sitting there making bad decisions, church attendance less than stellar, bible study nonexistant. Most of all, I remember the voice. The voice in your head saying things like, "You are such a loser. You will never belong here. Nobody likes you. You have NOTHING to say or offer anyone." It was such a vivid voice, more life-like than anything you had seen on TV.

I always say that if I struggle with something that I am not that special, not that profound. If I have felt like nobody, a nothing, with nothing to say and nothing to offer, I am not alone in that. And so, I would encourage anyone with that same voice to knock it flat. Shut it up. It's a lie. For anyone sitting in a sanctuary, a Sunday school class, a bible study, reading a blog....you.belong.here. Right here. Right now. For such a time as this. You are loved and valued and special. Just you, just as you are. I can't wait to meet you there.





3 comments:

Jo Ann Fore said...

Oh Barefoot Dawn ~ what a joy you are. And what encouraging words to tempt us to overthrow the false sense of power those lying voices lord over us. Thank you!

And thank you for linking up with us today.

Unknown said...

I struggled with those types of thoughts for years! So thankful for His healing and deliverance. Thank you for posting.

Holley Gerth said...

Thank you so much for linking up with Coffee for Your Heart, friend! XOXO