GO
I hate flying. Seriously hate it. A friend once pointed out that it wasn't that I was necessarily convinced that I was going to crash into a mountain, but that I was irritated that I wasn't the one flying the plane. Busted.
I am the one with the plan, the one with a goal, and am constantly working toward it. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but I can let the plan take control rather than the other way around. And recently (read: YEARS), the plan got out of control. Be this, do that, have a ball. The more I strived to make everything work, the more out of control everything got. My relationship with the Lord suffered because, quite frankly, the plan did not include Him much. Ouch.
I heard Psalm 46:10 recently again. I am very familiar with the concept of "Be still and know that I am God." But this author quoted it out of the CEV version. "Calm down and learn that I am God.
Calm down? Learn? Really? Not my strongest habit.
I am throwing away the big plan and learning to walk day by day, moment by moment, with the One who made me.
And in learning to walk start to fly.
STOP
3 comments:
Hello Dawn! I really enjoyed your post. I found your blog through Lisa Jo Baker's 5 minute Friday page :)
I know what you mean about wanting to fly your own plane. It seems a lot easier than not doing so, but it always feels so stressful. It doesn't seem like there is any other way to do it than to try to do it yourself, sometimes. But I am also thankful for the space that we're given to do what you said as "throwing away the big plan and learning to walk day by day, moment by moment, with the One who made [us]". It sounds a lot more "calm" that way :) a lot less stress. A lot more life and learning. May we both learn what it is to fly with Him!
I also like what you posted at the top about taking off your shoes - this has been an encouraging metaphor for me recently as well :)
yep... that's my same big prob with flying... can't stop and take a break whenever i decide i want to. well, that and the fact that when something bad happens on a plane, chances are i won't walk away from it.
smiled as i read those beginning lines and saw myself as well.
I don't care for flying much either. There is something about knowing that I am not in control. But isn't that like God, to remind me who has control? Praying you have a blessed weekend.
Post a Comment