May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Friday, November 1, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Grace

Five Minute Friday! Joining Lisa-Jo Baker (see link below) to write for 5 minutes and then stop, no editing. Today's prompt: Grace.

GO

Sometimes words can hurt. Sometimes, when you are looking for encouragement you can stumble upon something that you weren't prepared for. Sometimes, even by Christian authors.

I ran into this last week. In my quest in seeing the holy in the ordinary and reclaiming a more low key routine, some simplicity was in order. Not my strongest suit. So I did what I normally do and hit the bookstore. I found a book on reducing chaos in your life and bought it immediately. In the first chapter this particular book clearly stated that the reason women work outside the home is because we insist on bigger houses, better vacations and jam-packed calendar for our kids. I closed the book, not really willing to listen any further because my feelings were so hurt. Actually my heart broke. Again.

There seems to be an unspoken war between women. Especially women in the faith community. The five minutes we have alloted today doesn't give enough time to delve into this topic. But I have to say this isn't the first time I have run into this attitude. I just need to ask that we quit making blanket statements about the right way and the wrong way to be a woman in this world.

Can we extend to one another grace for the moment? To try to understand where someone else is coming from and accept where we are. To stop looking down our noses (even when we don't mean to) at someone else's situation and just love them? Working outside the home, working within the home, married, single, whatever. We are all just broken people trying to do the best we can. And the evil one will take advantage of every division. Let's not help him out.

STOP

Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

C Hill said...

Found you through the Five Minute Friday link up.

I couldn't agree more with your post! We women are each other's worst enemies! Finding Grace for each other...I kind of landed in the same spot while contemplating this subject!

I enjoyed reading...thanks!

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. Amen.