May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Courage

Sometimes it takes courage to do something.

Belief takes courage. When the Lord says "I will never leave you or forsake you," it can be a leap of faith to walk in that knowledge. Because in the world we live in, no one else can make that promise. No one else can guarantee they will always be with you, always be for you. So to walk forward believing that Jesus is who He says He is? Brave. Warrior-like bravery for those who choose to walk weilding weapons of prayer and the Word and fighting back the darkness that threatens to overwhelm and destroy.

Sometimes it takes courage to do nothing.

I am a control freak. And a doer. And a perfectionist. And a legalist. Somebody get me a therapist!

In the not-so-recent past if I ran into a fear (fear of failure, fear of not having enough money, fear of not being a good wife, fear of not being a good mother...get the picture?), my solution was to "do" something. Anything. It released my anxiety and allowed me to be too distracted to really think about what it was that was bothering me. It was a place of crippling fear where I was Queen and grace was a stranger. So to cease striving and grasping for the solution that was never there, I am learning to open my fist and put the balm of the Word into the fingernail marks I fear are permanently etched into my palms. DON'T do anything? Double brave.


Jo Ann Fore

4 comments:

Mystic_Mom said...

Oh I hear you! And I can relate. Love your voice, and honesty here. Glad to have you on the journey. Can you pass the palm balm please? :-)

Dawn :) said...

Palm balm! Still chuckling. Love it!

Anonymous said...

As a recovering 'do something-do anything!' to make it fell less out of control I hear you! Love it. thank you!

SarahWK said...

To let go of the control...how much easier life would be if we truly believed we didn't have to do it all?? Love your words today. Visiting from the link up!