May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

20 years and M&Ms

My 19-year-old daughter was sick this week with a high fever and a sore throat. It's so funny that no matter how old you are, when you are sick you want your mom. So I was there. After cool compresses, medicine and soup I was tucking her into bed like I used to do when she was little. Walking out the bedroom door, I said "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite," like we used to do. "M&M's," she mumbled.

M&M's? She must be hallucinating. Maybe it was the NyQuil.

"M&M's, red ones." OK...now I was getting a little worried.

"Remember? You used to tell me every night "I love you 101 red M&M's.""

Until right then, I didn't remember. When I used to think I would remember everything. Every routine and tradition, every occasion. I forgot. But she didn't.

I have less than 2 days to mother a teenager into her 20s. It went so fast. A blink, really.

In the hustle and bustle and crisis of everyday life, this child grew up when I wasn't looking. If I had one thing to tell her on the verge of this birthday it would be this:

I love you. Scary love. I love your sense of humor. I love the way you and your dad get along. I love that you still come to me to talk things through. I love you. Just that.

And that, my love, I will never forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww...... This is so sweet. Nothing like being a momma.