May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Halfway

Sometimes you can read a blog and it will stop you cold. That's what happened to me today.

I was reading Ann Voskamp's blog. To read the whole thing, click here. In one of the paragraphs she states "She was over half way now. If she was given a full seventy years, she was over halfway now."

Ok, I'm 46. Which means if I live to 92, I am halfway now. I think it's a good bet. Halfway. Over.

At 46, am I who I want to be? Have I spent over HALF of my life pretending? Acting like someone I am not?

I can't tell you who I will be. But I can tell you who I have been.

Numb. For 46 years. I don't know when it happened, when I lost the ability to be truly joyful, truly upset, truly concerned. Don't get me wrong, I have slivers of those feelings. But down deep? I don't go there.

Fearful. Of everything. Of not being enough. Of being a bad wife, a bad mom, a bad friend. A bad Christian. Fearful of being laughed at, not approved of. A failure.

An idolater. When I was younger I learned that running away to movie stars and pop idols was a great way to escape. As an adult it was hard habit to break. It still lurks if I am not careful. But it was replaced with control, security, approval, money, activity...you get the picture.

We have started Breaking Free by Beth Moore in bible study. It's so funny that I actually thought I didn't have anything else to work through. Laugh out loud funny! Freedom for the captives? I'm all in.

----Grace is the backbone of every woman still standing.---- Ann Voskamp 09/19/2013

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are an inspiration. making this second half all about the Glory of God.