May God grant us this day a whisper of His beauty that sweeps right past our vision and dives deeply like a stream into our world-parched souls. Beth Moore 10/08/2012

WELCOME!

Anyone who knows me at all knows I hate shoes. Well, let me clarify. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE shoes, from the car to the door. And then off. Hence the name of this blog. In reading Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts recently we are encouraged to look for God in the ordinariness of life, and that our ordinariness can be transformed into the quest for the holy. The shoes should be taken off. Cool. Already there.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Compassion International Post

September is Compassion International's blog month and this is my very first post for them. The prompt for this particular post was "What would you say to your childhood self?" Hmm...

I thought a lot about what I used to dream about when I was a little girl. I always, always wanted to be married. I was raised on military bases and decided in my teens I didn't want to marry a GI. Not that I have a problem with GI's necessarily, but I always think the grass is greener somewhere else. So I went to college, fell in love, he proposed....and enlisted. (True story). One dream down.

I always wanted to be a housewife and a mommy when I grew up. The other dream following close behind (if the whole housewife thing didn't work out) was to be a school teacher. I LOVED my teachers growing up. When my daughter came along at the age of 26, I wasn't a housewife (working in an optometry clinic) and I wasn't a teacher. Dreams two and three down.

At the age of 28 I met Jesus and my dreams have just never been the same. My GI and I are still married (26 years!) and by the grace of God alone our relationship keeps growing and changing. I no longer work in an optometry clinic, but am blessed with a job that I really love. And I work from home. I am blessed to a part of women's bible studies at my local church and have the opportunity to learn and grow continually. I was just about to type "all is well," but I need to change it to "all is real." I cannot wait to see where Jesus is going to take me next.

If I had one thing to tell my childhood self it would be this: Dare to dream. Go for it always. Even if it doesn't work out exactly like what you had thought it would, our God is faithful and He will see you through.

That's what I like so much about being involved as a sponser for Compassion International. I sponsor two girls in Uganda, Margaret and Lillian. It is my prayer that through this program they will have dreams of their own to pursue....and maybe come true.

No comments: